News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

User Hack on Zoom

Started by Griffin, February 17, 2021, 09:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin

I was just on a zoom where the host had published the link on a public Facebook page (yeah, incredibly stupid thing to do, but people are stupid around technology) with the Zoom meeting having no security (unfortunately I did not know until too late). Needless to say, we got an unwanted guest who shook his bare behind at us.

That's a simple thing to do getting into the meeting by using the link but after a minute or so, this changed and became a duplicate of me as zoom user. He then sent chat messages as me. There were my original user presence plus another one as me so I appeared to appear twice. Would he have just entered my name as a duplicate so it looked like me talking, or would he have actually highjacked me in some way? What I need to know is how compromised am I? Is it restricted to that zoom session or does the hack method mean my laptop, or other web accounts are compromised? I can't find any answers googling this specific type of event.  (Meeting's host non-techy so can't ask him and can't access his zoom account to see attendees in zoom reports.)
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

Most likely he just changed the name on his session to be the same as you.  I do not believe you were hijacked: as far as I know this is not possible through Zoom.  I do not think your notebook will have been compromised in any way by this.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin

No, I don't think I am compromised. It was a shock to see two of me though.
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bluenose

Yes, I can understand that...
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.