News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Kitchen Sink

Started by Opsa, June 11, 2013, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Opsa on June 16, 2013, 04:00:22 PM
It's almost blinding.

Bob, I think you must be right about the polished stainless steel. Our old one was brushed steel, and not reflective. In comparison, this one gleams like chrome.

When I had to take off the blue coating, I first was actually scratching the surface and was worried that I'd take the finish off, but none of the scratching left any marks. So I think you're right about the steel.

Dishwashing detergent swiped around the sink seems to be fine for cleaning it.

It ought to stay bright for years and years that way.

One of the nice things about polished stainless?

Once the inevitable starts, and it begins to dull?   It really is easy to convert it to brushed stainless steel.   You can even impart lovely, rotary patterns-- that overlap, rendering a kind of shell pattern.   It's literally a piece of cake, but a bit time consuming.

Get an ordinary drill.  Get some waterproof, but fine, sandpaper-- preferably a hard grit, like Aluminum Oxide (harder than SS).    Get a wooden dowel the size of the desired pattern-- short, no longer than 2-3 inches.  If your dowel is bigger around than will fit into your drill?  A screw driven in one end-- keep it centered as best as you can.  Removing the screw once it's in, putting in a drop of glue, then re-inserting it will help keep it there, longer.  Now, wrap the other end of your dowel with a strip of sandpaper, hold with wire, or a rubber band.   

Chuck it up into your drill, and begin making a pattern.  Warning!  I suggest you practice first, on some scrap material, preferably metal.  Like an old car door?   (Or get a metal panel/door off of a dead appliance from your local junkyard for free...). 

Hint:  You can use a sharpie marker, a ruler and a tape measure to create a center-spot/dot for each of your circles if you wish.   

Okay, here's a guy demonstrating it with a drill press-- read his description, he explains how it works
[youtube=425,350]5KmnVLU304w[/youtube]

At about 2.26, he shows his result.

He's using a Scotch Brite buffing pad, used by auto body people, to shape automobile bodies.  Available anywhere-- more high-tech than my dowel & sandpaper (which is old school-- how I was taught... ;) )

You can use a hand drill, doing the same thing.   Many pleasing patterns can be done this way.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

Griffin NoName

Dependng on how stained the stains are, I sometimes have to apply it twice. But it is like magic.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 20, 2013, 02:41:57 AM
Dependng on how stained the stains are, I sometimes have to apply it twice. But it is like magic.

Even better-- an actual user testimony. 

:D