News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Fun Wares

Started by Opsa, August 12, 2012, 05:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

I just happened across these tech monk teacups on the Archie McPhee website. Someone must be onto us, cybermonks!

pieces o nine

Let's stock them in the Pub for serving decorous tea.   :cup:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Hmm. I see myself more as a medieval monk.  You know, long robes, sandals.

Opsa

Hmmmm, he does seem to be imbibing and therefore appropriate.

Roland Deschain

Imbibing, imschmibing. That monk is a rank amateur. I'm all for quaffing!

http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/World%27s-Largest-Coffee-Cup.html - Doesn't have to contain coffee, you know. ;)
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on August 12, 2012, 08:54:52 PM
Hmm. I see myself more as a medieval monk.  You know, long robes, sandals.

I'm of a syncretic bent.  I've been kicking around the idea of getting someone to design a garment that is based on a modern hoodie but with some stylistic nods to monk's robes (which were the original inspiration):

QuoteThe garment's style and form can be traced back to Medieval Europe when the formal wear for monks included a long, decorative hood called cowl worn a tunic or robes.[1] The hooded sweatshirt was first produced in the United States starting in the 1930s. The modern clothing style was first produced by Champion in the 1930s and marketed to laborers working who endured freezing temperatures while working in upstate New York.[2] The term hoodie entered popular usage in the 1990s

Lose the elastic at the cuffs and bottom, lengthen the hood and hem a bit.  Wool for the winter, and a light-coloured lightweight cotton or preferably linen for the summer, to keep off the sun.

Sandals are good, or bare feet, at least during the warm months.
WWDDD?

Opsa

I like that idea, Aggie.

I looked up "Monk Hoodie" and found these images but none of them seemed to be as loose and flowing as I would like to see.

Aggie

We'll need to find a seamstress who's willing to take the project on (I know at least one). Hoodies have a bit of a bad rap in the UK, but they are a clothing staple here.

I'm a big fan of Swiss-army surplus wool pants for the winter, too. Cheap, nearly indestructible, stay warm when wet, work great as a base layer.  A bit scratchy, but I'm used to the feeling of hair on my legs, being a dude and all. ;)
WWDDD?

Opsa

A brown pullover hoodie with a little lacing at the throat to loosen/tighten depending on the weather would be nice. It would save on the zipper hardware, too.

Aggie

Good idea, especially for the summer. 

Hmm... I'm now wondering if there are any brown/green dyes that are pH sensitive, so that you could start with a light colour and dye each hoodie in progression a slightly different shade by say, chucking some baking soda or vinegar in the dye tub. 
WWDDD?

Opsa

So as to make each one more individual for one wearer or to enliven one person's wardrobe?

I wonder if pH sensitive dyes would respond to sweat and the like.

Can you imagine some light, gauzy summer monk hoods? That would be cool, in various ways.

Aggie

Yes, I think a light-coloured linen would be perfect for that.  Other than how easily it wrinkles, I love linen for summer.
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

But -- what about those of us material girl monks with a worldly hankering for velvet, gold(tone!) jewelry, beaded leather belts, silk scarves, shoes!...

:giggle:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Aggie

Bring 'em!  And make enough fer the Monastery gift shop while yer at it... ;)
WWDDD?

Roland Deschain

I'd have a full-on Jedi Master robe, including the other clothing and boots. And a lightsaber. Always a lightsaber.

:theforce:

Opsa

A light colored gauze cowl would look hot with a brown suede bustier. Just sayin'.

Of course, a light sabre goes with everything.

Aggie

I'm starting to think we need to descend on a festival en masse somewhere and establish a ephemeral Monastery tent. ;D
WWDDD?

Opsa

That is a very interesting idea. What would be good?

pieces o nine

Quote from: Aggie on August 23, 2012, 07:26:37 PM
I'm starting to think we need to descend on a festival en masse somewhere and establish a ephemeral Monastery tent. ;D
Sort of a flash mob, for Toadfish?

:squid_pink: :squid_red: :squid_yellow: :squid_green: :squid_blue:

Opsa

I intend to keep me cowl on, Sustah  ;) , but I do like this idea.

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Opsa on August 28, 2012, 03:04:10 PM
I intend to keep me cowl on, Sustah  ;) , but I do like this idea.
Good idea. Make sure I get the 2 minute warning, and i'll look away at the [in]appropriate time. :mrgreen:

Hmm, a flash mob for Toadfish. I'm sure there's a word for that in there somewhere.