News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aphos

Where did the phrase "raining cats and dogs" come from?

Well, back when thatched roofs were popular, cats and dogs would often stay in the rafters where warm air rose to.  But when it rained heavily, and some of that rain seeped through the roof, the cats and dogs would abandon the rafters, leaping down to the floor.  Thus, raining cats and dogs.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Pachyderm

The longest bout of hiccups lasted nearly 69 years.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Griffin

Quote from: Pachyderm on February 27, 2018, 03:12:27 PM
DYKT France was still executing people by guillotine when the first Star Wars movie came out.

Blimey! That first Star Wars was a long time ago then?
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

They switched to lightsaber soon after.

Did you know that women did not get the right to vote in Liechtenstein until more than a year after Return of the Jedi was released?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liechtenstein_women%27s_suffrage_referendum,_1984
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I believe one Swiss Kanton waited even longer.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin

Millicent Fawcett ... now has statue in Parliament Square. I can never remember if she was a hero at mending taps or better at something more cerebral.

I think Emily Davis probably won the case as she was destined to fall under a horse whic is more dramatic.

Until TMay goes, any changes in Britain (except for disabled people, Winbuish, dead people, et al) which might save the Country will keeping splitting open, making it obvious we are a puny tiny country with no endless firearms.

Ultimatly we all go back to whence we came. I may meet you there if cyber-cloud-Z3 survives. Keep up the good work.
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Did you know that guinea pigs produce two types of shit and eat the one type instantly after deposition?
It serves the same purpose as rumination.

Aggie

Yes, my mother (until recently) was a guinea pig owner.  They don't really deposit their "soft serves" but take them straight from the source as they come out.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk