News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Did you know that...

Started by Swatopluk, July 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

This is intended as our own Ripley's Believe It Or Not thread.
Post really obscure and funny information (one item per post only)!

Did you know that in Argentine it is illegal to wash the national flag because the blood of the heroes of the fatherland could be washed out?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Did you know - Under an old law it is perfectly legal to shoot a Welshman on a Sunday in Hereford, provided it's with a longbow and within Cathedral Close?

I have already warned Black Bart about this.

Swatopluk

Did you know that for a half a century (1896-1948) Auld Lang Syne served as the tune for the Korean national anthem?

Sibling DavidH

Did you know that Ragnarr Loðbrók (Ragnar Hairy-Trousers) had a son called Ivar inn beinlausi (Ivar the Boneless)?

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on July 12, 2010, 01:02:45 PM
Did you know that Ragnarr Loðbrók (Ragnar Hairy-Trousers) had a son called Ivar inn beinlausi (Ivar the Boneless)?

I know both characters but had forgotten that they were father and son. The latter iirc is said to have founded London using a similar trick as Dido (Carthage).
Was he related to sharks btw, since those also have cartilage not bones? :mrgreen:

Sibling DavidH

Most authorities guess at some birth defect or illness (he had to be carried around), but some think it referred to impotence.  However he married and had sons.

ǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁǁ

Did you know the last words of Gen. "Uncle John" Sedgwick at the battle of Spottsylvania Courthouse were: "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way - they couldn't hit an elephant at this distan-".

Swatopluk

I took it for an urban legend. At least that he was shot mid-sentence.

Did you know that many French soldiers became indirect victims of a dye subsidy in WW1?
Artificial madder (alizarin red) drove the Southern French natural madder industry into bankruptcy. The state bought their dye to prevent that.
The stuff was used to dye army uniform trousers. As a result French soldiers went to war with bright red clothes making them prime targets.
Note: Britain had solved that problem already because of similar experiences at the North West Frontier. The result was khaki (originally red plus mud).

Pachyderm

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliaphobia is the fear of long words.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Swatopluk

Did you know that Anthony Perkins was NOT in the shower scene in Psycho but in New York rehearsing for a stage play?
Hitchcock feared that someone could recognize his silhouette giving the whole plot away and therefore used a different actor.

Sibling DavidH

Did you know that in 1046 Sweyn Godwinson, elder brother of Harold (later briefly king) kidnapped the abbess of Leominster Priory and kept her as a sex slave for a year?

Swatopluk

Did you know that in Caesar's time there were more Jews in Alexandria than in Jerusalem?

Pachyderm

Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool - but only in tropical fish stores.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Sibling DavidH

Did you know that we once considered enforcing an ancient law and closing Oxford High Street on a Sunday for archery practice?  We didn't push it because someone reckoned they could fine grown men for shooting at under 200 yards, which our target bows wouldn't carry.

Aggie

Did you know barnacles have the largest penis lenght to body size ratio of the animal kingdom?

It's tough to make a connection when you're sessile. ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Did you know that the UK Foreign Secretary William Hague bears a striking resemblance to the Mighty Mekon from the old Dan Dare stories?