News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Ankh-Morpork Subway Map

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, June 17, 2010, 01:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

via BoingBoing

Quote from: article
Daniel sez, "I made an Undertaking (subway) map for Ankh-Morpork [ed: Terry Pratchett's imaginary city, from the Discworld books], set about 50 years in the future (from canon 'now'). I took some liberties with names of places, given the time gap. For instance, Dolly Sisters has become Dollisters, the Whore Pits has become Harpits. Locations are based on the canonical Ankh-Morpork map. Note that the logo is actually octarine -- your monitor may not calibrated to display that color properly."

The concluding sequence from Making Money implies that the next project for Moist von Lipwig will be this subway -- that's a book I'm anxious to read.
Me, too!
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

pieces o nine

"Harpits" sounds so dull...    :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

It will turn to armpits quite soon :mrgreen:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Such a shame that few of you non-Brits have heard the mad quiz show "I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue" on BBC R4.  It's been going for nearly 40 years now, and the insane game "Mornington Crescent", played on the London Underground map, is a UK classic.
This map would be ideal for a one-show variant; I'll see if I can send the BBC the link.
Which of these stations should replace  "Mornington Crescent" as the title of the game?
I'd go for Nob Hill.

Swatopluk

beagle tried to establish Mornington Crescent here a long time ago with limited success

Griffin NoName

DaveL and I have a Mornington Crescent game going on Facebook, but neither of us have made a move for over a year !
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

It sounded like a great game, but I could never deduce the rules...

...could we establish something similar from 'neutral' territory (like Discworld)?   :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Lindorm

Meanwhile, if you want to read a history about the construction of the London Underground, and a very entertaining one that proves that reality can be much, much weirder than fiction, too, I can reccomend "The Subterranean Railway" by Christian Wolmar. (ISBN 1 84354 022 3 for the first British hardcover edition, which is the one I have)

A very interesting history, showing the complex interplay between technology, optimism, vision, greed, money-laundering, recklessness and sheer bloody-mindedness that eventually made the Underground what it is today. Did you, for example, know, that the Metropolitan and District Railway companies, though officially connected to each other, were such bitter rivals that they resorted to bricking up each other's station entrances and welding old rolling stock to each other's tracks to prevent the enemy from making revenue?
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling DavidH

Sounds interesting.  No, I hadn't heard of all that; I'll look out for the book.

Swatopluk

I only know that in the early days especially in the summer many Londoners could not use the tube because of the danger of suffocation and smoke poisoning. the original tube was worked with steam locomotives. Pneumatic trains were under consideration but I forgot, whether they were actually used.