News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Aid and succour for the Good Sir Humphrey Gribling

Started by The Meromorph, February 02, 2010, 03:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Meromorph

We have been alerted by our esteemed comrade DavidH to the grievous plight of Sir Humphrey Gribling.
We have therefore started this thread to offer what help and advice to this good and gentle knight, who appears to have arrived here as a 'Time Ttraveller' of some sort, and is 'full bewidered and confused 'by our modern world.
I'm sure the Gentle Knight will explain at appropriate length, through the good offices of the esteemed said DavidH.

[Admins Note: We do not allow 'Sock Puppets' in the Monastery, but many alternate characters are channelled by our Siblings, and announce their contributions by explicitly signing there own names to their 'channelled' under their 'hosts' ID. Such 'Alter Ego's' are explicitly welcomed to the rescue of the Gentle Knight..]
Dances with Motorcycles.

Bluenose

Avarst!  Oi be offen havin a problem wiv them altar eegoes.  That Sibling Bluenose be yusin me account alla toime.  Iffen Sir Humphrey wuld loike a quick hintroducktshun ter sum o' the more henjoyabell publicke howses, Oi'd be 'appy ter hoblije.

Cap'n Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Griffin NoName

Aaaargh! H'indeed. Oi be willin' h'an able ter show the good gent 'ow ter tye a good reef knot.

Yers Trooly

Cap'n Lord Earl Count Cap'n Lordy Lordy M. Treadmill-Pondscum
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

Dear Good Sir Humphrey Gribling

If you would like to step into my emporium I would be more than happy to provide you with excellent advise on evening frocks and acessories. I believe Cap'n DaveL will vouch for our sensitive and excellent taste in these matters.

In haste

Missy Melissa
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

I must tell you that Sir Humph's tragic plight was drawn to my attention by a friend who works as a guide at Gribling Hall, just near my home.  I was naturally sympathetic, but as for advice... well, as the good Prof. Tolkien said, "Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise."  All I could think of is that Sir Humph should take refuge here in the Monastery whilst we consider his plight.  Here is the letter he has composed to the Siblings:

I offer my RESPECTFULL GREETYNGES to all who dwelle withinn ye Confines of this MONASTERIE.
I am Humphrey Gryblynge by name, and I wou'd seeke Refuge here for a whyle, untill I may fynde a way, to be return'd unto mine own Tyme.
For I would have you know, that I was SLEEPYNGE in ye Privy Cabinet at Gryblynge Hall, (having imbyb'd, 'tis true, some great Quantitie of WYNE) and that uponn awakyng I found, ye Privy was much differ'd from that of my Acquaintanse, and near foundered with Cobwebbes. Ye doore being not onlie LOCK'D, but also PANNELED OVER from withoute, I had much ado, to make shift to gett OUT.
In ye house I came uponn a man of passing strange Speeche and Clothyng, who bore uponn his doublet a lyttel SHEELDE, bearing ye device "National Trust GUIDE".  He hath help'd mee, to know, what hath pass'd in ye Worlde since ye Yeare, MDCXI in whych I fell asleepe.
In sooth, it seemeth that much CHANGE hath come about, whilst I sleppte, and that I must now learne ye new way of thynges.  Mayhap those here can Aide mee; in turn, you may permitte mee to COMMENT upon ye strange Wayes, in whych ye Worlde now runneth, and may gaine some ENTERTAINEMENT thereby.
I remayne,
Yr Most Humble & Obt Svt,
Humphrey Gryblynge, Bart.

Amazing how quickly the good Baronet has mastered my laptop!

Darlica

Oi!
'Ave we a proper Barron around 'ere now?
Wot next, t' 'ole landlubber party?

Oh, my...
And the Admiral 's one ale whence short, the 'ead wench at that!

Any 'ow, welcome Good Sir!
If ye find the Monastery too calm we do 'ave a guest 'ouse at the Admiral's in the Cove, beware of the piorates though they are mighty fond of shiny things.

The Best

Darla Deadwaters
Ale wench
Admiral Benbow's
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Quote from: DavidH on February 02, 2010, 09:37:26 AM
Amazing how quickly the good Baronet has mastered my laptop!

Iz can is a FEERCE an PUFFY CATPIRATE is maekit manglish on typed, iz can a man - but his is manglit pritty much. Ahoy ahoy!

I had much ado, to make shift to gett OUT

u hold it that long, is definit haz much ado to maek shift to gets OUT!

greetz,

CATPIN PUFF
catpin of DRED CATPIRATE SHIP
POOPSHIP DESTROYER
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Us Barts must stick together - but beware the Black Bart. He will be lurking somewhere.

Yoors Trooly

Cap'n Lord Earl Bart Lord Treadmill-Bartleby
Psychic Hotline Host

The Meromorph

Chap can come over for a game of skyttles if he would like some entertainment, doncherknow..
Can't ektually lay m' hands on the ectual skyttles, I think Her Ladyship thought they were belayin' pins and gave 'em to some sort of pirate chappie, but at least nine of the footmen are more or less a matched set, so we could use them, I suppose...

Lord Mero.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: The Meromorph on February 03, 2010, 02:05:33 AM
Can't ektually lay m' hands on the ectual skyttles ... but at least nine of the footmen are more or less a matched set, so we could use them, I suppose...Lord Mero.

:ROFL:

Sir Humph would like a word.  Before I hand over, though, I am changing his font (much to his disgust).  I realised that not all Siblings' machines will have BibleScrT, and that they will get something boring substituted, so let's see if Sir Humph will accept this, which everybody has:

Greetynges, to all. I wou'd thanke you, for yr kinde WELLCOME, whch hath been more, than I hadde expectedd.  Leaste of all had I look'd for Kyndnesse, from a PYRATE, but here they seeme, to be FRIENDLY.  And all have extended moste Sociable INVITACIONS to come & spend TYME, with 'em, & this I shall doo, tho' I shall have to Goe once againe, in ye CAR, which maketh mee to soil my Codpiece.
Captaine Puff hath observ'd, I sayde, "I had much ado, to make shift to gett OUT" of ye Privvy, after so LONGE a Tyme."  Sooth, he is not jesting.  But alle is now Welle.
Wee shall speake more Later, for there be many QUESTIONNS, I wou'd put unto you.
I remayne,
Yr Most Humble & Obt Svt,
Humphrey Gryblynge, Bart.

Pachyderm

Ai sai, there's a chappie with a proper accent, wot? D'you fancy a gemm of croquet, old bean?

Duke P
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Griffin NoName

Hmmmm. The Pirate Lads may be interested in your codpiece, Humps. Is it satin? Or a woolly one for winter? I don't think our semstress has a clue about them. I'm not sure they are a fashion item.

Missy Melissa
Missy Melissa's Fashion Tips and Fancies.org.uk
Psychic Hotline Host

pieces o nine

T'thee esteem'd Humphrey Gryblynge, Bart.:

Greetynges and a moste Hospittable Welcome. Ich could notte help but notyce yower comment on yower codpeece.

Sithen ich haue bin Scoutmayster of thee Portsmouth Branche of Pyrate Scouts International, Ich woold to cut a fyne figure in myne Scout-Master Liverie and deeme yt of gretest importaunce in mayntayning order. Ich am in serch of skill'd seemstresses in thee gentil arte of codpeece and britches tayloring. Verilie, yt is right hard to fynde goode codpeeces in this economie.

Manye thankes,
Captain Baird Saggingsails,
Pyrate Scoutmayster
Portsmouth Pyrate Pyblicke Skole Trope

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Guess who's pestering me for the laptop:

A Goode Day, to ALLE.  Againe I Thank you, for yr Kynde Cheere.  But I am to be sure, somedeal Concern'd, that yee take such an Intereste, inn my CODPEECE.  However David assureth mee, 'tis onlie inn Jeste.  Else, I had Wonder'd, what manner of men ye be.
For inn this New Worlde, one thing above all other dothe AMAYZE me.  & 'tis not, ye magicall Alchemicall MACHEENS & DEVYCES, whych now rule over you, tho' you thynke, 'tis you who rule over them.
Nay, 'tis rather ye CLOATHING, of yr Womenn.  For inn my Tyme, ye Ladies wore Cloathes, whych covered 'em, Legges, Armes & ALL.  But now 'tis but a Couple of Raggs, whych scarce cover their Partes, and leave expos'd near eveything else.  And this doth also stir ye CODPEECE, of a full-blooded Gentleman.  & I greatly wysshe to heare, how it seemeth unto you.
I remayne, Yr True Frende, (as I thynke, I may now Saye in thyss Place)
Humphrey Gryblynge.

Griffin NoName

From the Office of Professor Nathaniel Winter-Drawson, Psychiatrist in Residence

To Humphrey Gryblynge, Bart
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been passed a request for information about the scanty clothing of women in our society.

We hasten to inform you that this is due solely to global warming which besets our world today.

We hope this relieves your mind.

Note to typist. do not mention codpieces.
Psychic Hotline Host