News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Here Come the Veg!

Started by Opsa, August 06, 2008, 04:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Quote from: Aggie on September 21, 2013, 03:26:11 AM
I've got daikon radish and another brassica sprouting in my winter garden bed. Presumably it's cherry belle radishes or kale, although I also planted wasabi greens and another kale variety, plus chard, in the same general area.  Definitely not the chard yet, though.
Do those last through hard frosts?

Aggie

They should all at least survive a few frosts, although the chard usually dies back over winter.  I might have a line on some free insulated steel panels (from doors, I think) to build an in-situ row house over them (need to line up some big windows or glass doors, though). I can add some thermal mass to the inside of it, too, in order to help maintain. 

The kale keeps in good shape all winter once it's established, with no frost damage provided it gets some snow cover during the worst of winter (prevents drying more than freezing).
WWDDD?

Opsa

So far the spinach and lettuce sprouts are looking good. Not big enough to eat yet (except the earlier three), but healthy. We have not had a frost yet.  We get our first frosts usually by Nov 1.

How are yours?

Aggie

It got too cold to make for good growing; the radishes came up but aren't doing too much so far.  I've acquired some insulated steel panels (window cut-outs from exterior doors) and if I can find some free glass, might get around to building a full-size cold frame over them before the snow flies.  It's not looking likely that I'll have the time at this point.

Ah, well... hopefully the kale will have an early start in the spring.
WWDDD?

Aggie

---

The new spring crop of brassicas has poked their heads above the soil! :D
WWDDD?